Federal Stormwater Program
What is the Federal Stormwater Program?
In an effort to reduce stormwater pollution, the EPA created the National Pollution Discharge and Elimination System, or NPDES stormwater permit program. This program regulates stormwater discharges from three sources: municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4s), construction activities, and industrial activities.
In 2017, the Town of Windsor received its stormwater permit from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Water Quality Control Division. The permit allows the town to discharge stormwater from the municipal separate storm sewer system, or MS4, to Colorado waters.
In compliance with the permitting requirements, the Town of Windsor is in the process of implementing programs to reduce stormwater pollutants. The town’s plan for doing this is outlined in Windsor’s MS4 PDD, or Program Description Document, which is publicly available for review and comment. Contact the town’s Engineering Department for more information.
As a condition of the permit, the following six minimum control measures must be met:
- Public Education and Outreach: Educate our community to reduce water quality impacts associated with pollutants in stormwater runoff.
- Public Participation/Involvement: Provide a mechanism and process to allow public review and input on the Stormwater Management Program.
- Illicit Detection and Elimination: Develop, implement, and enforce a program to detect and eliminate spills, illegal dumping, and other non-stormwater discharges into the town’s storm sewer system.
- Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control: Develop, implement, and enforce a program to reduce discharge of pollutants in stormwater runoff from construction activities.
- Post-construction Stormwater Management: Prevent or minimize impacts to stormwater from new development or redevelopment by ensuring that stormwater conveyance structures are maintained and operate as designed.
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations: Develop, implement, and enforce a maintenance program to prevent or reduce pollutants in runoff from municipal operations.