Community Recreation Center Expansion
On November 4, 2014 Windsor voters supported a sales tax increase to fund expansion of the Community Recreation Center. Below is information and appropriate links relative to the design and construction process.
On November 24, 2014, Town Board was presented with information by Barker Rinker Seacat Architecture regarding the contract for services, including:
(View entire packet)
(Schematic Design phase confirms program mission and goals; Design Development phase completes the components of the project, and the Construction Document Development phase produces construction drawings for building. Meetings are open to the public. If you wish to attend a meeting, contact the Community Recreation Center to confirm time and location.)
- December 9, 2014 - Schematic Design Workshop #1 (agenda)
- January 14, 2015 - Schematic Design Workshop #2 (agenda)
- February 10, 2015 - Schematic Design Workshop #3 (agenda)
- February 24, 2015 - Schematic Design Workshop #4 (agenda)
- Community Recreation Center Expansion Schematic Design Report (this is a large document and takes several minutes to load)
- Pinkard Construction selected as Construction Manager/General Contractor (see Press Release 3-5-15)
- March 10, 2015 - Design Development Workshop #1 (agenda)
- March 31, 2015 - Design Development Workshop #2 (agenda)
- April 30, 2015 - Design Development Workshop #3 (agenda)
- May 14, 2015 - Design Development Workshop #4 (agenda)
- June 4, 2015 - Construction Document Development Workshop #1 (teleconference)
- June 11, 2015 - Review of Budget and Estimate
- June 25, 2015 - Construction Document Development Workshop #2 (agenda)
- July 23, 2015 - Construction Document Development Workshop #3 (teleconference)
- July 24, 2015 GROUNDBREAKING 11:30-1:30; Ceremony @ noon (view Invite)
- September, 2015 - Construction Document Development Workshop #4
Commencement of Schematic Design date: December 1, 2014 (Kick off meeting with Project Team December 9, 2014)
Commencement of Construction date: September, 2015
Substantial completion: October 1, 2016
Public Needs Assessment Survey
In 2011, the Town of Windsor partnered with the Ed and Ruth Lehman YMCA in Longmont to complete a statistically valid survey of residents about their recreation program and facility needs and wants. The findings were as follows:
Our Community Recreation Center was operating at capacity:
- Windsor doubled its population in ten years, growing from approximately 10,000 residents in 2003 to over 20,000 in 2013.
- Participation in center programs grew 218% since 2004.
- Youth activities participation grew 123%.
- Senior participation grew 114%.
- Given size and amenities, the center could not meet the indoor recreation needs of our community.
- The Town of Windsor considered placing a sales tax measure on the November 2014 ballot to fund expansion of our Community Recreation Center.
- Improvements included a leisure pool, lap lanes, slide, auxiliary gym, walk/jog track, aerobics/dance/yoga studio, fitness/wellness studio, locker room expansion, child watch area, classroom/party room and additional parking.
- The estimated cost of the project was $16.1 million, which included site work, construction and other project costs.
- The plan called for a sales tax of 0.75% (3/4 of one cent on each dollar).
- No property tax will be considered.
A Resolution of Support
The Parks, Recreation & Culture Advisory Board adopted a resolution of support for the Ad Hoc Committee recommendation on April 2, 2013.
On April 22, 2013, Town Board determined to host a number of District meetings hosted by the Town Board member from each District. A topic of discussion at each meeting was the possible expansion of the Community Recreation Center, the amenities associated with various scenarios and the costs. Members of the Parks, Recreation & Culture Board were also in attendance along with Staff and consultants from Barker Rinker Seacat architects, who completed the expansion feasibility study in 2012. All meetings were open to the public, however public was encouraged to attend the meeting in their respective district (see District map).
39,164 additional square feet:
| Aquatics Amenities|
| Athletic Amenities|
| Fitness Wellness Amenities|
| Other Amenities|
Locker Area Expansion
Child Watch Area
Additional Parking Spaces
- View the Community Recreation Center Expansion Feasibility Process that has been undertaken the last few years
- Contact Town Board
- Town Board Members
- Contact the Director of Parks, Recreation & Culture
- View the final financial detailsfor proposed expansion