What is a variance?

A variance, which requires approval by the Board of Adjustment, constitutes a change in the zoning provisions of the Municipal Code where, due to special conditions or circumstances, the literal enforcement of a zoning requirement would result in an unnecessary hardship. An unnecessary hardship is defined as a situation where the property cannot be reasonably used under the conditions allowed by the code. The situation will occur from circumstances unique to the property and will not be created by the property owner. Economic considerations alone do not constitute an unnecessary hardship. Variances, if granted, shall not alter the character of the surrounding neighborhood. Please review Section 14-2-140 (Minor Variance) and Section 14-2-150 (Major Variance) of the Municipal Code or contact Planning for further information.

Application Forms and Handouts webpage

Show All Answers

1. What is the population of Windsor?
2. What are Windsor’s municipal boundaries?
3. What is planned for the area around my property?
4. What current developments / development projects are being reviewed by the Town of Windsor?
5. What is the zoning of my property?
6. What does my zoning allow?
7. Are your application forms available online?
8. Can I subdivide my property? What is the subdivision process?
9. What is a variance?
10. Can I have a home occupation/business? What are the requirements?
11. Do I need a building permit to work on my own home or if I am finishing my own basement?
12. Do I need a permit to re-roof my house?
13. What is a Conditional Use Grant (CUG)?
14. Do I need a permit to build a fence around my house?
15. Do I need a permit to build a shed and where on my property can I put it?
16. Do I need a permit to build a deck, porch, pergola, or patio cover?
17. Do I need a permit to install a sprinkler system?
18. Are there regulations for temporary signs in Windsor?
19. Are there prohibited construction hours?
20. How do I find information about an oil and gas development?